The Patient Diagnostic Mix table allows you to isolate specific diagnoses that are a challenge or area of strength or specialization for the selected facility, so you can present your approach to solving a meaningful challenge within a specific department. In addition to seeing patient counts, you can review post-acute utilization, average length of stay, readmission rates, and mortality rates for each diagnostic category. We have included comparative county and state averages to help you easily see where the facility differs from the norm. Once the facility's strengths and weaknesses are known, you can devise an account plan and message that will help you stand out from your competition.
Even though the table header is "Diagnostic Categories," do not try to align the different groups with CMS's Major Diagnostic Categories. The rows represent the Trella Health Diagnostic Grouping.
For more information, see Trella Health Diagnostic Groupings.
The Patient Diagnostic Mix table can be found under the Utilization and Quality table.
Understanding the Metrics
Each row contains metrics specific to the diagnostic grouping in the first column.
- Percent per category - This metric is percent of all patients who had a primary diagnosis that aligns with the the listed diagnostic grouping.
- Total Medicare Patients - This metric is the count of the facility's patients who had a primary diagnosis code within the diagnostic grouping who were discharged during the period listed in the header.
- Home Health Agency Patient Count - This is the count of patients discharged from the selected facility who were admitted to home care within 30 days of discharge who had a primary diagnosis aligned with each grouping.
- Home Health Agency Utilization % - The percentage of the selected facility's patients with a primary diagnosis for the grouping in the row who entered home care within 30 days of discharge. The state and county averages for all similar facilities are provided for comparison.
- Average Length of Stay (Days) - This metric is the average length of stay, in days, spent in the selected facility for patients with a matching diagnosis.
- Readmission Rate - The percentage of home health patients with a primary diagnosis that aligns with the grouping in the row who were readmitted to inpatient care within 30 days of initial discharge.
- 30 Day Mortality - This is the percentage of patients discharged from the chosen facility who died within 30 days of discharge.