The Patient Population section of the Facility Analyze Page contains patient demographics that make you the expert on your selected facility's patients. These metrics are found under the Patient Population tab. (see below)
The Patient Demographics tab includes the following:
- Patient Volume - Historical counts of patients by three different criteria.
- Location of Patient Residence - percents of patient's county or ZIP code of residence.
- Diagnostic Breakout by Stay - counts of patient stays in each Trella Health Diagnostic Group for HHA patients discharged from the selected facility.
- Breakdown of patients by age.
Each of these sets of data can be viewed as a table or as a chart.
Understanding the Metrics
Patient Volume Table
The Patient Volume table provides metrics on the population of Medicare patients for the selected facility so you can gauge the facility's potential as a source of post-acute referrals.
The top grey box labeled "Inpatient" is a drop-down button that will allow you to change the content of the table to patient counts for Outpatient discharges.
Total Distinct Patient Discharges
This number is the count of distinct Medicare patients treated by the facility during the quarter listed in the column header. Although the row header implies that these metrics are counts of discharges, these are counts of distinct patients.
The column "One Year Total" is not a total, it is a count of distinct patients where the metric in each row is applied to the most recent one-year reporting period.
This is the count of distinct patients discharged from the selected facility who were admitted to home health during the quarter listed in the column header. In order to create a logical proximity between the discharge and subsequent post-acute care, we only count patients in this row who were admitted to home health within 30 days of discharge.
This number is the count of patients who died while being treated at the selected facility.
The Patient Residence table shows the percentage of patients treated by the selected facility within the two year reference period who resided in the listed county or ZIP code at the time their home health admission claim was filed. The two year reference period aligns with the end of the last quarter for the data set included in Marketscape.
The patient percentages in this table are calculated from all Medicare claims for the selected facility, not just HHA related claims.
The grey box that contains, "County" is a drop-down that will allow you to switch the content in the table between percentages for county and ZIP Code.
For the selected facility, this table contains the names of the counties and the percentage of patients for each county from the facility's total patient count.
For the selected facility, this table contains the ZIP Codes and the percentage of patients for each ZIP Code from the facility's total patient count.
Since these metrics are based on the patients' place of residence, it is possible to have counties or ZIP Codes from states other than the state of the facility's location. This will be especially true for facilities located in smaller states or near state lines. Those "out of state" counties or ZIP codes will only be included in this table if there is a sufficient count of patients. (See next.)
Aggregated INS Counties and "Other"
- Any and all counties where the percentage was calculated from a count of less than 11 patients will not be identified in the table but will be aggregated into the row titled, "Aggregated INS County."
- ZIP codes where the percentage would represent a count of less than 11 patients will not be identified in the table but will be aggregated into the row titled, “Other.”
- For example, if the agency had 100 patients in the reporting period, any county or ZIP code with 10% of the total or less would represent less than eleven patients in that location and therefore, that location will not be identified, but would be combined with all other locations also not specified.
Diagnostic Breakout by Stay
This table provides a percentage breakout by Trella Health Diagnostic Category for all home health stays of patients discharged by the selected facility who were admitted to home health where the primary diagnosis on the claim aligns with the listed diagnostic category.
For more information see, Trella Health Diagnostic Categories.
Any and all diagnostic categories where the percentage was calculated from a count of less than 11 patients will not be identified in the table but will be aggregated into the row titled, "Aggregated INS diagnostic categories."
This table gives a simple breakout of the patients for the selected facility by age.